Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Healthy Dose of Self-Disclosure


I’ve been asked (directly or indirectly) by a few people about how I can put myself out there – particularly regarding the piece under “Unrequited Love”. Truth is, I like the piece a lot – and I can put myself out there because I believe that self-disclosure is the only way to truly connect with others.

How can I expect people to understand or sympathize if I’m not completely honest with myself?
It has nothing to do with pride or ego – it just is. Writing is fun and therapeutic, and sharing even better :OP. I remember taking a poetry seminar from Amiri Baraka at Oakwood. It was a small group – I think about 10 of us – and while there he asked us why we wrote. When I stated that I wrote for myself – well, he basically yelled at me – saying that I should never write just for myself, and that doing so was selfish. Writers should put down their experiences, feelings, etc….but all in the effort to say what is so for others – not just themselves.

Again, pride in the idea that “he” may read it doesn’t faze me. I have a lot of pride and ego – trust. But it’s also pride in my work that causes me to put it out there. I like it and I hope you do too.

2 comments:

Vixen said...

Writers should put down their experiences, feelings, etc….but all in the effort to say what is so for others – not just themselves. I love that line. I feel it's so true. So you went to OC too? What year did you graduate?

RandomlySane said...

Thanks Vixen - yup I'm an Oakwood alum - 2003!!