Sunday, August 20, 2006

Body Woes

(Ummm...you may want to close your eyes if you think this pic is too scandalous :OP)

One thing that ALL women share is dissatisfaction with some body part. And I really do mean all women – celebrities included. Even women whose bodies I envy, and un-Christianly lust (in the non-sexual manner) after have something that they do not like.

Basically, the phrase "the grass is always greener on the other side" rings extremely true.

The litany is endless: breast too small, breast too big, big thighs, no thighs, skinny legs, fat legs, no calves, thick calves, and on and on and on. And don't even get me started on skin and complexion.

I mean no wonder – look at what we are bombarded with every day. If we flip through a magazine in line at the groceries, we see these amazingly beautiful women smiling pertly at the camera who seem to radiate with the knowledge of their perfection. Oh, and please – television? Um, like every commercial for the ideal makeup or hair product is all insinuating, "If you use this product, you'll look just like me".

What a joke! I'll never look like her in a million years. First of all I can't afford cosmetic surgery, a personal trainer, and my own personal chef. And even if I did – my pictures are not going to be airbrushed to technical perfection.

I have to be honest, most of the time I cannot look through a Victoria Secrets catalogue without feeling just a little depressed. I can be in a fabulous mood – and then see one of their anatomically correct models and have to give a small sigh "I can never wear anything like that".
And I'm not even taking into consideration if it is indecent or not – the fact is, I would like to know that if I wanted to wear something revealing, I could without having to be embarrassed.

How many of us stand in front of the mirror naked simply looking at our bodies and seeing flaw after flaw? The constant "ifs" pop up: if I could just lose a little weight right here, if only this was a little tighter, if only that didn't hang quite in that direction! I know that you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's actually quite disturbing the amount of time we women find to criticize our bodies. Can you imagine how many hours of productivity are wasted while we dream of our "ideal" body?

Oh, and the bathroom scale!? I mean, what sick mind invented that anyway? Only a completely obsessed and slightly demented person would want to weigh themselves every time they went into the bathroom. It makes no sense to me. Is seeing that you've gained or lost one-third of a pound really that critical?

Now, I'm not trying to offend anyone who is a health nut. I could probably learn a lot from you. My point is that we constantly hold ourselves up to some logically unattainable standards. Most of us are never going to look like Jessica Alba, Beyonce or Jennifer Lopez – period. I don't mean to dash your dreams, but come on let's be realistic. You can be the best that you can be, but you can't be someone else!

No comments: