Monday, May 14, 2007

You vs Me: Two Sides to Every Story


You know how you can’t ever tell someone something without making yourself look like the “good guy”? Why is that?


Even when I purposely try to take full responsibility and state my faults upfront I still end up appearing more genuine or mature than the other person. When deep down I know that is exactly how I want to come across. I want to be validated by whomever I’m talking to. And – if I state my faults first they are usually less likely to surprise and/or hurt me with their opinions of a situation. Either way – I seem in control and emotionally healthy. What is that all about anyway? Am I just so analytical and competitive that I have to see all angles of an issue before I talk about it???

Is it possible to truly denounce yourself? Or is it just a power trip? Knowing that by appearing to have truly thought an issue out and taking responsibility for your “not so good” actions that people in turn assume that you are admirable. (If you can unravel my meaning out of that last sentence please explain it to me). Or is this just me taking things too far?

3 comments:

NML/Natalie said...

This is very deep. I think it's human nature and I think that being upfront about your own part isn't an intentional tug at the emotional heart strings but happens nonetheless anyway. You have no control over how other people react and it may be the case that some people aren't swayed by your honesty. Remember, in this world, people struggle to admit when they're at fault - Bush and Tony Blair still won't do it in the face of a mountain of evidence - so people do appreciate honesty. Thanks for stopping by and your kind words. I am in a much better mood now :-)

Another Asian Law Student said...

im just immature so i always tell a bias-side of the story :D

Parad0x said...

Yeppers - people appreciate genuine(ness?) because most are too proud to be genuine themselves.

Weird huh?