Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Show Me


(sigh) So I just got home and checked my email - I've been doing it almost incessantly while I'm waiting to hear back from some lenders - and anyway, I saw an email from the John Legend site....

Yes. I am in love with John. Particulary after seeing and hearing in concert. He's absolutely fabulous - and any naysayers can keep their opinion to themselves!

Okay - back to my story. I opened his site and saw a link to this which he spoke about during his concert. Here's the thing - it's incredibly moving, but I don't feel the same way I used to when I look at the pictures. It's beyond sad really.

I remember when I first started my graduate program I was so excited that I was going to change the world and make an enormous difference to hundreds of thousands lives. Eradicate poverty. Feed the hungry. Clothe the naked. Heal the sick. Alright, so I had a bit of a God-complex. But I was ready. Ready to do my part. Get in there and help out those in need.

My friends and I used to talk about the Chair of our department at the time. How she was so removed from the field and had lost her compassion. She had this hardened edge about her. She'd been doing global health work for about 30 years at the time. Extremely knowledgeable, but just, I don't know - hard.

I'm getting to my point - I promise. The thing is, after being in that program for a while - traveling to developing countries - learning and seeing the preventable poverty and unnecessary deaths - left me almost broken. I had an extremely hard time coping. As a result, I built up some sort of callous outlook. A numbness really. Knowing that no matter how much some individuals do - it's always going to be like this. Always going to be the rich versus the poor. The haves and the have-nots.
Sure - I can spout the altruistic notions of all of us working together and getting along - but it's not reality. We're out to take care of ourselves. Our loved ones. If we can help others on the way - great! But, usually not if it directly interferes with or takes away our needs, or wants. Which is why I do understand the human need for something more. A perfect afterlife - where all this corruption and hatred don't exist. I get it.

And now - I've almost completely gone of topic. My point is - that professor? I get her now too. It's not a pretty thing when idealism and naivete clash with reality. The problem is finding a balance. Not stopping because of all the depressing and horrendous things in the world, but moving forward regardless. Knowing that even if it's small, you made a difference in someones life.

Check out Vonumu International. It's a terrific and totally inexpensive way to help eduate some kids. And yes - they are reputable. One of my good friends knows them personally and they send you updates and information all the time...


Night all...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No comment about you blog since it took so long to get to the point i gave up on thinking about it. I really just wanted to say that i just saw John Sunday night and i totally agree with you. His concerts are 20 times better than any album he ever makes.

Anon from VA

Counsellor in Cultivation said...

NYC!!!! So jealous!!! have a great time!

Another Asian Law Student said...

idealism only gets your hopes up. it gives you misguided optimism that won't happen.

that's what i learned.

itsnotmeitsme said...

I've gotta disagree... You can't give up hope! It's just hard to have hope in small doses, I think - I was going to write something cliche about diong one small thing each day, but it's not even about that. It's about not giving up - even on people like your Department Chair. Imagine how dedicated she must be do stay in the field for 30 years - even if she does seem a little cold on the outside. So says the cynic.

Thanks for writing - your posts remind me to think (about things other than the law)...

RandomlySane said...

Thanks for the comments guys - I DO LOVE JOHN LEGEND - he's the real one bringing sexyback! And AALS and JJ - I do believe that idealism definitely has its major drawbacks - but hope is crucial to live a satisfied life...

I'd be miserable if there was none.