Monday, July 02, 2007

My Achy Breaky Feet

So, I was looking up some pics for this post, and I googled "sore feet" and this pic came up.....uh - do you see how the black man is portrayed?????

Originally this post was going to be about how I dropped my car off at the dealership downtown around 1130 this morning and decided (unwisely) to walk back home not arriving here till now - 430pm. I was going to regale you with stories about the scorching sun, taxi drivers who tried to "pick me up" rather than do their job and the many interesting sites that I saw along the way.

However, this picture trumps all that. At first I thought that it was his pet monkey, and now I see that I was wrong. It's supposed to be a cartoon about Sinbad and his adventures. But I am sadly reminded of "blackface" and all that it entailed...as well as the fact that I'm living in the South.

And then I thought about all the stereotypes that abound. And thought about how during my long walk I encountered a group of young blacks who were loud, and in my ears their Southern voices/drawl/slang was unintelligible. And how I immediately assumed/judged that they were uneducated and reinforcing negative stereotypes. The same stereotypes that I seem to believe and agree with….

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

there are reasons why there are stereotypes... stereotypes exist on the basis of both the stereotyping party and the stereotyped party.

*Tanyetta* said...

my brother just moved to SC. he was fired because he heard his boss refer to him as the new: ugly m*fcker
needless to say, my brother had to address the issue and was issued his last paycheck on the spot. *sigh*

RandomlySane said...

ALS - interesting, I have to think about that one...it makes sense to some degree but maybe I'm still somewhat of an idealist to believe that everyone deserves a clean slate and no assumptions...I'll let you know what I come up - or maybe I'll write a post about it!

Tanyetta - thanks for sharing...we all have our prejudices...I guess what I'm wondering is how do we alleviate them and/or change our behavior - or can we?