Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Geekness


Okay, so I'm reading the case Louisville & Nashville Railroad Co. v. Mottley for Civ Pro (Civil Procedure for my non-law readers) and this line had me laugh out loud:

"We do not deem it necessary, however, to consider either of these questions, because, in our opinion, the court below was without jurisdiction of the cause."

This was stated by the justice immediately after stating the facts and the two issues that were presented. LOL. The wonderful power of a judge.

Gosh, golly gee.....

I'm a nerd.


(Incidentally - my textbook was actually written by one of my professors...good thing she's not teaching this class!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I the only non-lawyer that had no idea what that statement was saying even after you tried to explain something. This is the reason nobody likes lawyers, cause you are talking out of your.....


Anon from the VA

BCC said...

umm... maybe i am a total nerd because that statement and the context in which it was framed totally make sense. totally missing the humor and sense of awe...

RandomlySane said...

Sorry Buddy - basically, someone brought a case to the court, and instead of the court answering or "judging" on the issue, they decided to use it to prove a point about something almost totally unrelated....if I tried to explain anymore I'd probably confuse you and myself...lol...I'll do better next time ;o)

And Metheus - I'm only 3 weeks in -I can still be amused by the seemingly arbitrariness and sarcasm of the judges!

BCC said...

give time, grasshopper, give it time. being jaded, cyncical and disenfranchised is required for graduation ;-)