Sunday, January 28, 2007

AA – Perspectives from a Slightly Uncomfortable URM


If you don’t know URM stands for Underrepresented Minority in the law admissions/school realm. Frankly, I had no idea – but being one have been bombarded with the term since I started this getting into law school process.

Here’s my dilemma – my LSAT (Law School Admission Test) score and undergrad GPA are not extremely high. I only scored in the xth percentile for the test, and my LSDAS GPA was a x.x. My only saving factor for my GPA was the fact that I graduated magna cum laude from my alma mater (is that how you spell it?) – BUT the LSDAS GPA also factors in my freshman year!!!

Well, for the record – freshman year was more than abysmal – I went from a 2.3 to 3.3 – which became a 2.7 average. Yeah – not at all pretty. Anywho, compared to the majority of applicants – mainstream white male – my scores are average. However, the majority of black applicants allegedly only score in the 20th percentile!

Actually, my score was in the top 5% of all scores for applicants in my ugrad – which clearly works in my favor.

Okay, numbers aside – Law schools typically admit URM student with lower scores to increase their diversity. It’s been a huge controversy – U of Michigan just lost the ability to do so on constitutional grounds, but private institutions still have the ability to make their own decisions. Since the majority of top schools are private affirmative action is still alive and well.

So, I’ve said all of that to say – I don’t know how I feel about the issue. On one hand, I recognize that all it does is get a student, who may not have “legacy” privileges or other connections into a school – the rest is up to them. On the other hand, should I really just get a hand up just because of my skin color?

Obviously, there are a lot more factors that go into it – but, what do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand your consternation but if being a URM gets you to your ultimate goal and you do well in law school and pass the bar with flying colors, what does it mater?

Anon from VA

RandomlySane said...

Good point - it doesn't....lol...k, I'm done stressing and over-analyzing!

Anonymous said...

For every "hand up" you get get, because of your skin colour, you're probably gonna get atleast 5 "slap-downs". So lose the guilt trip and go get your law degree!!

RandomlySane said...

It's gone Shaft! Thanks!